Don't you find that quilting cottons have all the best patterns? Such cute fabric deserves to be worn, so we've scoured the sewing community for our favourite garment patterns that work well with quilting cottons!
Quilting cotton/medium-weight cotton is usually relatively stiff compared to other fabrics geared towards dressmaking, so deciding on a pattern to suit this can be a challenge. Choose a pattern that doesn't need much drape or will look great with a bit of structure. Your fabric choice is important too: not all quilting cottons are the same, some are smoother and drapier than others and they vary in thickness and weight. With that in mind, here's some patterns we love...
This shirt is one of my favourites. I love a folded sleeve and the standing straight collar looks smart buttoned all the way up or more casual if you leave it open. I found this pattern worked really well with the structure quilting cotton provides whilst still being comfortable to wear.
Circle skirts are perfect for twirling and this one is no exception! Quilting cotton gives it the structure it needs for that A-line flare but the curved cut on the hem means it hangs nicely. This was a straightforward sew and the pattern comes with three different zip options (I went with an invisible zip).
Cotton is breathable and comfortable, so ideal for sleep and loungewear projects like these PJ bottoms. Since you're likely to only wear these inside the house, you can pick the wildest patterned cotton you like; have a look at Acorn Wood Rust or Flutter By Navy for some inspiration!
You can make shorts or trousers with this pattern and we sell the paper version in the shop. I altered the pattern slightly by removing some of the height from the rise as I wanted a lower cut waist. The lovely retro fabric I used sold out a long time ago, but if you're looking for a retro vibe check out Universal Love New Dawn and Sunburst Good Vibes Raspberry.
As this tank top is cut on the bias (at 45 degrees to the grain of the fabric) it makes the cotton slightly less stiff and encourages a bit more flow to the garment. This is a quick, fun pattern to sew!
I made this one with Folk Indian Cotton rather than quilting cotton, but I think it would work really well, especially with cute quilting cottons like Step Right Up Rollerskates and Universal Love Over The Rainbow (but remember that your pattern will be at a 45 degree angle!).
If you're feeling inspired, have a look through the Mid-Weight Cotton section of our shop!
Other great patterns we think would work well with quilting cotton, have quilting cotton as a recommended fabric or that have been recommended by our Instagram followers:
- Cocowawa Crafts - Honeycomb Shirt and Dress
- Anna Allen Patterns - Demeter Top and Dress
- Anna Allen Patterns - Anthea Blouse and Dress
- Christine Haynes - Emery Dress
- By Hand London - Zeena Dress
- Sew Over It - Maisie Dress
- Sew Over It - Oona Dress
- Cashmerette - Upton Dress
- Birgitta Helmersson - ZW Cropped Shirt
- The Assembly Line - Cuff Top
- The Assembly Line - Cuff Dress
- Stitch Witch Patterns - The Atlas Top
- Stitch Witch Patterns - The Basque Dress
- Stitch Witch Patterns - The Capulet Dress
- Stitch Witch Patterns - The Tudor Blouse
- Stitch Witch Patterns - The Lilith Dress
- Ready To Sew - Pio Pants
- Ready To Sew - Valley Jumpsuit
- Ready To Sew - Papao Wrap Pants
- Ready To Sew - Patsy Overalls
- Ready To Sew - Jean-Paul Coveralls
- Ready To Sew - Jumpy Pants/Shorts
- Closet Core Patterns - Blanca Flight Suit
- Closet Core Patterns - Fiore Skirt
- Closet Core Patterns - Kalle Shirt and Shirtdress
- Closet Core Patterns - Carolyn Pajamas
- Papercut Patterns - Palisade Pants
- Papercut Patterns - Mirri Jumpsuit
- Papercut Patterns - Tula Pants
- Tilly and the Buttons - Miette Skirt
- Tilly and the Buttons - Dominique Skirt
- Tilly and the Buttons - Francoise Dress (sleeveless version)
- Tilly and the Buttons - Detachable Collar
- Tilly and the Buttons - Stevie Tunic
- Tilly and the Buttons - Indigo Top/Dress
- Friday Pattern Company - Sports Shorts
- Friday Pattern Company - Square Neck Top
- Named Patterns - Hali Wrap Dress
- Named Patterns - Hali Wrap Jumpsuit
- Named Patterns - Valo Dress and Top
- Deer and Doe - Eucalyptus Jumpsuit
- Deer and Doe - Goji Shorts/Skirt
- Deer and Doe - Bleuet Dress